Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Spring in the City


Today we hopped downtown for a quick peep around. The city is built on hills so manual may not be the best choice for cars.. The city streets do not go in cookie cutter square blocks like in the US. They go around and stop here and there. After parking and going for a stroll to find lunch we were quite puffed! I can imagine if we lived in the city and traveled around on foot we would be buff! We were in some casual threads but everyone else was dressed to the nines in black business attire. Even the ladies had on suits and heels. We found the parking very dear, about $12 a hour! Luckily we managed to get ours validated!

I gave it a go at driving stickshift a few days ago. It wasn't quite as bad as expected. I think I only stalled 3 times in 45 minutes. I did a few hill starts and passed but failed to turn into the correct lane several times.. oops! Hopefully with more practice I can give my Kiwi a break and drive him around.

There is Sculpture in the Gardens at Auckland Botanical Gardens starting November 7th. There is free entry to see 20 sculptures by top New Zealand artists 7 days a week from 9am to dusk. Find out more about it here: http://www.aucklandbotanicgardens.co.nz/stoneleigh-sculpture-in-the-gardens/

I'm getting used to the daylight here as we have it most of the day until about 8pm or so.. Being in Hawaii with 5 years without daylight savings you get thrown out of the loop! It makes for a much longer and enjoyable day I think. It cools down a bit more when the sun goes down but it seems to be getting a bit warmer. A lady told me today that this was the coldest October in the past 25 years. Crazy, ay?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

left is right, spring is fall, it's like a different planet.

Carmella Ella said...

Today is Thursday as well.. we are day ahead. ;-)

xoxo, Chloe said...

Stick is easy once you get the hang of it, (I mean I learned on the old pickup truck). It's pitch black over here by 5 pm and yesterday was 30 degrees...So enjoy the daylight and warmth!

Post a Comment