Friday, November 20, 2009

Power struggle


So weeks before we move to New Zealand we stock up on several electronic devices to use for our wedding but plan to continue using upon leaving the country. We arrive in New Zealand and spend almost a week without a converter to the NZ power outlets. We purchase one and use it for my camera battery charger and it's sweet. We try to use it for the tanning gun and it shorts out. I try to use it with my curlers and it heats up too hot to touch. I use it for my hair dryer and it starts to smell burnt. We attempt to use it on our hair trimmers and it fizzles out. What's the deal folks?? Well apparently in NZ the normal voltage from a power outlet is at least 230-240 at 50 hertz! The average US power plug supply is 110-120 volts at 60Hz. So basically we're not on the same page here as in the US. As a result most of our electronics we brought and used are fried.. I still sneak on my hair dryer for about 2 minutes until it smells like burning hair and then I stop. I figure that I'll use it until it dies and then fork over the money for a new one. You can purchase transformers but they can be massive (like 50lbs!) Word of advice: Don't bring a lot of big electronics to NZ!


3 comments:

Jasmine said...

Can I have your curlers!! :)

xoxo, Chloe said...

Yeah I want them too! That is too bad about all that stuff. I guess you will have to go au naturale!

Carmella Ella said...

Chloe we are not in France.. bahaha! ;-) Whoever comes to NZ first to visit can take home my curlers..

Post a Comment