Thursday, October 29, 2009

Welcome to Kiwiland



Kia Ora,

Arriving in New Zealand to a chilly welcome but warm reception from the people. Getting through customs was anticipated to be a hassle but no questions asked I was stamped and ushered through! I looked at my work permit and it is pretty basic but does not say anything about only contract work so that is awesome!

Everything looks so new and well put together as we drove home from the airport. The clarity of everything is stunning. A huge blue sky swallows up most of the view and then there's a blanket of bright green grass. All the buildings pop out the colors almost neon. Everything is in a variety of fonts and sizes so it gets all jumbled up into a colorful collage as you drive by.

We went grocery shopping at not one but three different supermarkets. I didn't recognize too many brands so I had to take a stroll down every aisle. Here's a few things that are different. The yogurt comes in cartons, pancake mix comes in cartons as well! You just add water and shake it up and pour.. The local cream cheese is more of a butter spread.. it has a stronger taste. But, we found Ketchup! I was so stoked..since we had some chips in the car. They wrap the chips (fries) in newspaper to keep it warm and it is super cheap to get really good tasting ones. They put fresh pepper and squeeze lemon on them for you.. mmm!

Well we are off to get our first mince and cheese pie! I've been craving one for over a year now when I first tried one last year in August.


4 comments:

Jasmine said...

Yay, kiwi and I is back!

xoxo, Chloe said...

Is the mince and cheese pie like a philly cheese steak but in pie form? That sounds good!! Are you getting into the NZ slang yet...

Candylei said...

It's good to hear.

Carmella Ella said...

Yes somewhat similar..really juicy and cheesy. I'm picking up more and more kiwi slang!

Post a Comment